Yashwantrao Chavan Arts and Commerce College is situated at Urun-Islampur in the Walwa Taluka of the Sangli district in Southern Maharashtra. It was founded in June, 1970 by Late Shri. S. D. Patil (Ex. Member of Parliament), an educationalist and social reformer in pursuit of “Bahujan Hitay, Bahujan Sukhay” (for the good of many, for the prosperity of many). The college has been rendering valuable service in the field of education, sports, NSS and cultural activities since its establishment. The college was recognized under 2f by UGC in April, 1976, and permanently affiliated to Shivaji University, Kolhapur in June, 2005. It provides education in Arts and Commerce faculties at junior level and Arts, Commerce, Computer Science and Business Administration at graduate level. It also runs self financing course in Journalism.
Walwa Taluka Education Society was founded in 1945 by Late Shri. S. D. Patil and his co-workers for educational uplift and welfare of the society. Late Shri. S. D. Patil was very active in the social and political activities in the Southern Maharashtra. He was elected as a M.L.A., M.P. and President of Zillah Parishad from Sangli district.